Wednesday, December 02, 2009

From 70º to 40º and back to 70º!

Yes, I know it’s been over a month! It’s a weird concept, but our everyday routine has become a normal thing for us now and I don’t feel like we’ve got much news here. But of course my mom reminds me all the time that I haven’t written and I should just talk about anything! So this one’s for you Mom! =)

About two weeks ago a cold front hit us hard! It went from about 70 degrees to about 40 degrees overnight with winds about 30 MPH! It was ridiculously cold and windy!! I mean, yes we had been complaining about the heat, but overnight coldness- we just weren’t ready for! We had been told that the weather here in Shenzhen is perfect from about November through January- fall-like temperatures and a few cooler days here and there. Everyone (I mean the Chinese folks) kept telling us how rare this was and how special the weather was since it hadn’t happened like this in over 100 years! Of course, “special” wouldn’t have been my choice of words…Beijing has already gotten two large snowfalls, which the first usually doesn’t happen until January. And everyone’s concerned with global warming…China should be concerned with global cooling. =) So with the limited amount of luggage we brought, our winter clothes were left behind…So during the extremely cold week, we went to Wal-Mart (near our Chinese class) and bought us a few things to keep us warm! Yes, Jordan even found a fleece jacket that fit him. We also bought some toboggans, long-sleeve shirts, & scarves- for me =) Jordan and I have been waking up and running around 6:15 AM each morning and we needed some extra clothing so we wouldn’t have an excuse! Jordan thought the weather was perfect and I basically made him buy the jacket. He was walking around in a short sleeve polo and khakis and compared to everyone else, he looked really out of place! It was probably the first week that he didn't sweat at all while teaching! The funny part of the whole story is the day after our shopping spree and since then, it’s been warm. I think I’ve worn my jacket twice now. So we’re back to the glorious fall weather we were told about and enjoying everyday!

I’m sorry that I’ve had writer’s block for the past month, but promise to get back into the habit!

Loving the current weather,
Tyler and Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment