Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Duck in a bag

Tuesdays are my busy days. I teach four classes in the morning and the afternoons I teach 2 grades in our auditorium. This is usually much more relaxed than the classroom and I can show movie clips, etc. During the English Show, Jordan has a weekly meeting with Mrs. Chen who helps make sure we're being properly taken care of. Well about two weeks ago, Jordan's meeting had been cancelled so he decided to come and help make a special debut to the 3rd and 4th graders. While we were watching a clip from Toy Story, Jordan got a call from Mrs. Chen who said she needed to see him. He exits quietly, while I'm curious to what's going on. About 5 minutes later he returns with a bag. Now of course I'm really curious. I quickly asked him what was in the bag and much to my surprise he says a duck. A DUCK?!?! Well dear friends, it wasn't a live duck. This happened to be a duck for cooking. It was the whole duck- head and all pre-packaged. It took all I had not to burst out laughing and be totally grossed out all at the same time. I had to finish the lesson I was teaching and not be distracted with the fact my husband was sitting there with a duck in a bag! Of course duck isn't one of those meals that I cook or ever plan on cooking, so we had a little photo shoot with the duck, then properly placed him in the garbage can. The price tag was on the duck which converted into about $7 US dollars, which we justified pretty quick that it was ok to throw away. Now duck is a very special meat here so we did feel bad throwing it away, but we were pretty sure that Mrs. Chen was "re-gifting" this so called delicacy and didn't feel as bad. If Chinese lady didn't want it, it’s ok if we throw it away right?!?!
Picture 1- The duck outside of our door
Picture 2- The duck (GROSS!!!)
Picture 3- Jordan and the duck



1 comment:

  1. Jordan, you're not exactly advancing the image of being a good ol' country boy...you can call it a duck if you like, but, in the bag or on the ground a 'possum is still a 'possum. Read that label again and see if they stuffed him with sweet potatoes before they harvested him...

    ReplyDelete