Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Mystery Dish

One Friday night a few weeks ago after I finished tutoring, Jordan and I went out to grab some dinner. We decided to hit this little restaurant that serves great meat on a stick, crinkle fries, and other great little snack type foods. I need to note that as you're walking inside, they have a couple of fish tanks outside with different sea creatures in them. There's this bucket with what looks like snakes, but our Chinese friend swears that it's some sort of fish thing...We're always a bit confused by this but we chalk it up for it being lost in translation somewhere. But the snake fish things are so distracting while walking in, I can't help but scoot as far away as possible and squirm! So anyways, Jordan was ordering our meat sticks, some eggplant, and crinkle fries and the guy who's taking our order tries to offer us something else. Jordan doesn't really recognize the name but the guy is pretty adamant about this food. Jordan agrees but really has no idea what's going to be placed in front of us...So then Jordan looks at me after the guy's walked away and after looking on the menu to try and figure out the dish he says, "I've got bad news." Well, needless these really weren't the words I wanted to hear so of course I say, "What?" He proceeds to tell me that he thinks he's ordered one of those snake things and that the waiter has picked up one of the snake fish things (my back is to the door)...OH JUST WONDERFUL! So at this point I'm dreading our dinner...Great...I quickly and calmly tell Jordan that this "special dish" will NOT be placed on the table. He can put it on the floor or on the bench beside him, but I do NOT want to see this. Jordan's laughing at this point, our other food dishes begin arriving and as I'm eating I'm dreading THE DISH that's being cooked...So the first few dishes come out and it's exactly what we wanted. We're waiting for the mystery dish...
Well much to our surprise the guy brings over a plate of OYSTERS!!!! WHEW!!!! We both die laughing and enjoy the oysters and the rest of the evening. =)

1 comment:

  1. ...sounds like you were treated to eel on the half-shell! Hope you REALLY enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete